Sunday, May 31, 2009

Industrial Training in All India Radio



In this vacation, we(me and Anil CS, my class mate) planned to go to All India Radio for the Industrial Training. It was a 5 day program. I am not attempting to publish a technical report on this because I am too lazy to do so and AIR(All India Radio) technical details cannot be revealed much without the permission by the Government of India. Also restrictions are there in capturing photoes of inner side macines and electrical connections. So we got only the picture of the main gate Akashavani and the Transmitting station residing at avanoor. You can see the 122m long MW antenna (630Hz) on the picture of Avanoor Transmitting station. It is propagating a power of 100kW. An old 20kW antenna is there in Akashavani, but it is not using now. Most of the technical details are kept secret because of the security reasons. But they tried to explain maximum technical details to us. They opened old 20kW propagation station for us, but they were fully build up of large triodes, tetrodes, etc. Some of the valves were very costly, but I didn't like it much because, I usually play with transistors and integrated chips. They were not working for 10 or more years and were dusty. Next day, we went to Avanoor 100KW transmitting station. It was much more sophisticated.
I am not trying to describe a lot about AIR, but here I give an overview. The programs are recorded and live programs are set up and edited at Akashavani, Ramavarmapuram. Since there is no active antenna, the program is transmitted through FM. It is short range, but enough to receive the signal at Avanoor. They said that probably we can hear programs in 103MHz FM also from near Avanoor. I tried it in my home, but failed. They also provide microwave (Micrwave is default medium, FM is used if microwave transmission failed.) transmission in addition with FM.

No comments: